8/17/2004

I went to Church on Sunday

I'm here and I'm actually trying to be friendly around here. Any time somebody stops by I offer them something to eat or drink. I've also met some new people to hang out with, but it's nothing like the group back home.
I think mom and dad would be surprised to see how clean I have kept everything( it's only been four days, but I'm one of the cleanest people in the hall) and how I have been eating healthy.

I went to church on Sunday. A black church in the middle of nowhere. I stood out, but it was interesting. There was so much music and dancing and the preacher would yell like he could stop the apocalypse with his voice. He even has some psychic ability(words given to him by God). They made me feel like I was welcome and were all huggy, kinda like my family in Puerto Rico. Most of the time, I looked at the people around me, the dude in the all pink suit and the lady in the grey outfit who would jump and dance and run around the room when the music started, and the dude in blue who would raise his hands so God may touch them. I looked at the building, small but cozy with long thin windows and door in the back guarded by two men, a pew with few decorations on it. Then he said the funniest things about the pure and the impure. Gold and silver, according the Bible, are pure, while wood and earth are not. This seemed funny to me because the purest form of silver and gold comes only from the impure earth. Once man has gotten it to turn it into something it will be tainted. That means that the most pure person is not the one who goes to church but the one who is of the world and lives in the world without letting it get to them. Confused? Well I can't explain it much more, I have class. LATER.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Ivette! I'm glad that you seem to be doing well so far. I"m sorry I missed you when I was in Columbus... Agh. College time constraints are awful.

I'm having the same situation here that you are, it seems. Nice people, but not as nice as the folks back home.

I miss ya!